Media is an instrument for communication, like a newspaper or a radio, so social media would be a social instrument of communication.
Social media is such a broad term that it covers a large range of websites. The one common link between these sites is that you are able to interact with the website and interact with other visitors.
Here are some examples of social media websites:
- Social Networking. (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter) Interact by adding friends, commenting on profiles, joining groups and having discussions.
- Social Bookmarking. (Del.icio.us, Blinklist, Simpy) Interact by tagging websites and searching through websites bookmarked by other people.
- Social News. (Digg, Propeller, Reddit) Interact by voting for articles and commenting on them.
- Social Photo and Video Sharing. (YouTube, Flickr, Vimeo) Interact by sharing photos or videos and commenting on user submissions.
- Wikis. (Wikipedia, Wikia) Interact by adding articles and editing existing articles. And these websites are not the only social media websites. Any website that invites you to interact with the site and with other visitors falls into the definition of social media.
Take a few minutes to watch this video on Social Media…you will be amazed!